Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Family Handyman magazine and website- the DIY person's secret weapon.

Our last house had what my wife calls "potential". In our marraige, this is shorthand for "the husband is in for a lot of work to get this house just the way the wife wants it". When we purchased the home, it was the model home for the development...in 1967! Very little had been done in the way of modernizing and it was up to me to develop this potential. The kitchen, bathrooms, entry and other parts of the home needed a major redo. As a do it yourselfer, I'm average, but there were times when I need just a bit more information or a handy tip or two to get the result just right.

Ladies love a guy who is handy- that's what
my wife tells me, anyway.
(source: TFH)
Luckily for me, the answer is just a few clicks away. For decades now, the national magazine The Family Handyman has been a fixture on store shelves and is well known for clear, easy to follow instructions for all manner of home improvement projects, from toilets to drywall to plumbing and roofs. The problem is keeping all of these publications organized according to subject and then having it available when you need it.

But The Family Handyman has all of this solved for you...and for free! Virtually thousands of "how-to" articles are kept on The Family Handyman website for your perusal and printout. Need to know about power tools? Sure, it's in there. What about installing a home theater? No problem- it's there too. Just about any topic is covered and in the unlikely event you do happen to stump the search function, you can always join the FH online community where someone is certain to have the information you seek. To search for your particular subject is easy- at the top of the homepage is a large search window- simply fill it out with words matching the topic of your choice.

Personally, I have used both the magazine and the online home of TFH to help me renovate three bathrooms, drywall an entry, plant just the right flowers at just the right time and ensure that the ceiling fan I was installing was done safely and correctly. Go to The Family Handyman website here to save time and effort and make you the DIY hero of your house.

BTW, I showed my wife the 1st draft of this post and she said it had "potential". Sigh...back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers