Search This Blog

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Switch Modular Pocket Knife- the multitool with multi personalities.

I like multitools. I've owned at least five or six. As a television news photojournalist, I am forever fixing or tweaking tripods, live trucks, microphones, cameras, wireless transmitters and all of the ephemera I use for my day job. It seems that everything I use has itty-bitty screws or AA batteries stuck waaay in the bottom of some deep hole that requires my multitool to dig them out.

But, there's a problem with most multitools. I'm often assigned to news locations that don't allow knife blades- courtrooms, police stations, schools and the like- so I have to remember to leave the multitool in the car. If I don't, it becomes the property of the state for good (somewhere, there's a security guard making a fortune selling confiscated multitools on Ebay) .

I did find the solution eventually. The Switch Modular Pocket Knife doesn't have the most imaginative name, but it does have imaginative design. Think of a Swiss army knife- all in separate pieces. Look in the very organized box the SMPK comes in and you"ll see what I mean. 

See what I mean?
(source: ThinkGeek)
Now, pick the tweezers, magnifying glass, screwdriver, nail file, etc out of the box and attach them to the pocket holder. If you leave out the knife blade, then you now have something that can be carried into a courtroom or pass muster with the TSA at the airport (check the TSA site here to see what's allowed). The point is, you can install- or not- any of the tools that come with the kit. Once installed, they are secure as a bank vault until you decide to change them again. And again.

...or stuff it full.
(source: ThinkGeek)


Add just a few tools...
(source: ThinkGeek)












The good folks at ThinkGeek (yes, that's a store) have this gadget for you to purchase for the low, low price of $59.99- that's the same price of a quality multitool from the well known brands. ThinkGeek has other, hard-to-find stuff too, so look around while you're there for other gee-wizardry that will keep your inner geek happy. Click here to go to the ThinkGeek site.

Hey, I think I just double posted and you guys got two times the blogging goodness for the price of one.

You're welcome.

1 comment:

  1. But, there's a problem with most multitools. I'm often assigned to news locations that don't allow knife blades- courtrooms, police stations, ... multitoolknife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers